Bob Higgins was DG for Rotary in South, East & West Wales in 2009/10 and this blog records the important events that took place in the run up to and during 2009/10.

Search This Blog

Sunday 1 February 2009

20th Jan Bill Gates


Well, I will be able to say "I was there" when Bill Gates wowed the 2009 International Assembly with his announcement that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was to award a further $255m to Polio Eradication. Bill asked that we treat a further $100m from the $255m as matched funding, to be achieved by 2012. It was also announced that the UK Government had awarded £100m and that the German government had awarded 100m Euros. The hall erupted with a great deal of noise and applause that seemed to go on for a long time. I was one of those special moments that will stay in our memories.

1 comment:

  1. If any of you out there are on Facebook, the Rotary 'End Polio Now' is a cause that you can support. I have it as a featured cause on my page.

    ReplyDelete